Welcome

Welcome to my world.

Monday 3 May 2021

Ration Challenge Recipes - Page 8

 

Pepita Purpura - Congee doughnuts

I used the congee recipe in the book. Once the congee is cooked and slightly cooled I added 1 tablespoon of flour and a lot of cinnamon! (If I had earned sugar I would have added this too!)

I then pressed the congee into a doughnut mould baking tray and baked for 45 minutes at 180! If you don't have a doughnut baking tray I’d suggest maybe making small cupcakes instead!

This is perfect for on-the-go!

Sioned Lois

Made some sticky rice doughnuts. They can be eaten as they are or fried for a bit of crunch, add some spice to go with Dahl or some cinnamon (and sugar if you can) for a sweet “treat” 


Michael POgson – Rice flatbread

100g of rice soak for 6 hour in 4 times as much water, strain and add back half as much of the soaking water as you have soaked rice, blitz with a hand blender for a good few minutes, and leave for another 6 hours, blitz again add a little salt then shallow fry this batter in a little oil, will make rice flatbread.

Michael POgson - Rice and Lentil Flatbread

50g lentils, 100g rice cover with 4 X as much water as dried ingredients, leave to soak overnight. In the morning, strain and reserve a cup of the soaking water. Add back approx half the volume of water as you have rice and lentils (fill to just below level of rice and lentils) blitz for a good few minutes with a hand blender. It should be consistency of a thick batter; if too thick, add a little more of the soaking water. Leave for 6 - 8 hours at room temp, add a pinch of salt and blitz again. Heat a lightly oiled pan on medium heat and pour in batter to form flatbread of desired size. Fry till the edges start to look cooked and you can get a spatula underneath to flip. Fry the other side till golden brown. When cooked brush with a little oil and sprinkle with salt and your choice of spice.

Val Law - Quesadilla

You could try my rice and kidney bean quesadilla for something a little bit different. I made 4 flour tortillas with 50 grams flour, 1tbsp oil and enough water to make a dough. 50gms cooked rice, 50 grams kidney beans, I added some shallot and hot smoked paprika from my rewards, mashed it all together, filled the tortillas, fried in a lightly greased heavy pan until golden both sides. You could adjust the filling to use what you have but it makes a bit of a change from plain rice.

Stefania Testa - Fish cake Recipe

Blend cooked rice, the sardines and the kidney beans (I had precooked and seasoned). Season more if you wish. It should clump together in the blender.

Use two spoons to form a roundish quenelle type thing and drop them into flour. Coat in flour using a spoon. Flatten in your hands. Fry in oil


Kate Spence – Rice Crisps

I cooked the rice until sticky, put in in a blender with a tablespoon of oil and a couple of tablespoons of water and blended until it formed a dough. Pop a teaspoon size ball on a silicone mat or baking paper put baking paper on top and squash with a glass until 1-2 mm thick. Bake until browned

Eloise Greenwood: Tofu Curry

Ingredients:

240g tofu (120g which we get initially plus my reward of 120g)

75g (Half an onion, 170g is what you get for the challenge so I would have 95g left, I haven’t chosen my vegetable yet just thought I would try a recipe!)

The spices I used are the ones my team has chosen:

Ground pepper

Cumin

Paprika

Garlic

Turmeric

Salt

Half a tin of tomatoes (half a tin left)

100ml of coconut milk (from the 210ml so I would have 110ml left)

Cooking:

Tofu: 200 degrees for 20 minutes.

Simmer the curry for 15 minutes after you’ve added the tofu in.


Katherine Trezise – Crispy Rice Balls

For these, I cooked 50g of rice per the basic recipe, then blitzed it with a stick blender and formed it into balls with my hands. I dipped the balls in aquafaba, then dry flour (12g) and then a spiced batter I'd prepared using;
18g flour

25ml milk
chilli powder
garlic powder
onion salt
black pepper powder
salt
I put 15ml of oil in a small pan on a high heat and fried them until golden on all sides. This recipe used 7 small balls and I felt full after them (though I do generally eat small portions!).

One other top tip I've discovered since yesterday morning is that it takes a lot of time to cook very little! These took the best part of an hour to prepare! Worth it though!


If you like these recipes, feel free to use them. If you are feeling generous, please consider donating a couple of quid to a Ration Challenger

Or even to me. Thanks in advance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome